Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Black Bean Burritos

First off, someone is going to have to teach me the ways of the blogging world... I've never been officially initiated and I don't really know how it works.

Second, can I please just say how amazing the captions are below the faces of the brothers. I laughed for five minutes when I read Ty's cause... oh wait! True story. Ever since that day I have always tried to put everything away before Tyler gets home so he can't figure out what ingredients I cook with.

ANYWAY! Onto the food. I tried this recipe yesterday and I thought it was really good. I let Tyler rate it and he gave me 4 stars, but we are newlyweds so take that for what it's worth. Also, be warned that I tend to make up a lot of my own recipes so I'll try to let you know if they are tried and true or some of my own ideas... understandably I think that could sway the decision to try it or not. This one happens to be one that I just kind of made up on my own.

INGREDIENTS

* 4 (10" round) tortillas
* 1 sweet onion, chopped
* 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
*1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 T minced jalapeno peppers
* 2 T garlic salt ( I added a lot more, but I am notorious for adding ample spice)
* 1 1/2 t chili powder (once again, I added more so I guessed how much would be normal)
* 1 t salt
* 3 T chopped, fresh cilantro
* 1-2 c Spanish rice with tomatoes
** 4 T sour cream OR 4 T cream cheese
Directions

1. Wrap tortillas in foil and bake for 350F for 15 minutes.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place onion, bell pepper and jalapeno in skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Pour beans into skillet and cook for another 3 minutes, while adding garlic salt and chili powder.

3. Stir cilantro and rice into mixture

4. Spread cream cheese or sour cream onto tortilla. Be careful not to get too close to the edges, or it will be hard to fold.

5. Spoon mixture evenly down the center of the tortilla and fold.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, I think you just learn as you go- I usually just learn from my mistakes. :)
    Next time you make this, take a stellar picture. I'm very visual, and when flipping through a cookbook, I decide to make something usually based on the picture (...I'm a weirdo.)
    Anything with sour cream can't taste bad- I'll have to try this one soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is excellent! One more meal for Mr. Picky number 2!

    ReplyDelete