Monday, May 31, 2010

Black Bean Soup

- Food Network, Dave Liberman

Attention everyone... attention....
We have a 5 STAR recipe here.
My Mr. Picky ate this for dinner, and then breakfast and lunch the next day. A very good sign indeed. The only thing I'd do differently is experiment with how they added the bacon, or try it with no bacon at all. Still a little too fatty for our taste (the fat cooked but didn't dissolve, so rather chewy if you know what I mean...) but that didn't stop us from eating it. Smells awesome too.

10 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
6 garlic cloves, pressed
1 can chicken broth
1 1/2 c canned chopped tomatoes
2 tbs ketchup
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs chili powder
4 cans black beans (drained but not rinsed)
salt & pepper
1 bunch cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 tbs)
thin sliced scallions (garnish)
sour cream (garnish)
grated cheddar (garnish)

Cook bacon in large pot (about 4 min) then add onions and cook til transparent (about 4 min?). Add garlic and cook til you can smell it (1 min).
Add broth, tomatoes, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, and chili powder. Stir.
Add beans and bring to a gentle boil for about 10 min.
Season with salt & pepper.
Cut stems off cilantro, wash and shake dry. Chop coarsely and add to mix. Cook til thick (5 min). Stir in lime juice. Serve with garnishes.

Serves 8-10

2 comments:

  1. Sarah: We tried the soup today and loved it. I did not use all of the bacon drippings. After cooking the bacon in strips, I kept two tablespoons of the drippings to cook the onion and garlic. Then I crumbled the bacon and added it to the beans, tomatoes, etc. Next time, I am going to use the bacon as a garnish instead of adding it to the soup. I like crips bacon and it does get a little soggy in the soup. This is a ***** receipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this again but with green peppers- still awesome but not as colorful.
    I noticed I kept saying, "man, this is so DANG good!" about every third bite.... I'm salivating just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete