Monday, January 6, 2014

Slow Cooker Chive and Onion Creamed Corn

I found this in an impulsively bought Betty Crocker magazine I saw at the grocery store check stand around Thanksgiving.  I tried it over Christmas with my sister and it was fantastic.  I tried it again replacing the bacon with 1/2 cup purple onion finely diced (to be more vegetarian friendly) and it was STILL amazing.  This is a great side dish for gatherings with more than 4 people.


Here's my modified vegetarian version:

1/2 c. purple onion, finely diced
4 1/2 c. frozen corn, thawed (essentially two bags)
1/2 c. red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 container (8 ox) of chive & onion cream cheese

Grease slow cooker (or use a liner), and add the mix of onion, corn, bell pepper, milk, melted butter, sugar, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook on High for 2- 2 1/2 hours.
Stir in cream cheese, and cook on High an additional 10 minutes.  Stir again, and serve.  Can be kept on warm or Low heat for up to an hour.


Here's the link for the direct recipe: 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah: Thanks for posting the recipe. It is delish! Kris

    ReplyDelete