Friday, February 18, 2011

Tomaattiperunakeitto (Tomato Potato Soup)

-Finnish Cookbook

This is one my mom found when trying to think up a thematic dish for my brother's farewell party to Finland. So darn good, and very simple. I also gained my testimony of immersion blenders from this recipe, as transporting batches of scalding hot soup into my blender wasn't doing it for me anymore. Invest in one if you get the chance- they are heaven sent.

1.5 lb fresh tomatoes, peeled (I left skins on)
6 c. vegetable broth OR water
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (I left peels on)
4 medium onions, peeled and diced
3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. flour
salt pepper
1 c. heavy cream
chopped parsley (I feel it's optional)

In a LARGE pot (a deep stock pot works) combine tomatoes, broth/water, potatoes, and onions. Cook over medium heat til tender. Use immersion blender to blend it all together (or pulverize it in batches in a real blender...) until smooth. Melt butter in separate saucepan and add flour to make a white paste- add to blended veggies and mix again til smooth and dissolved. Cook til thickened, add salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add cream and parsley. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment