Friday, June 11, 2010

Spinach Flatbread Pizza

-Taste of Home Magazine

This one is very easy. The hubster gave it 4 stars- I gave it 5 out of simplicity and yummy goodness. I don't follow the measurements with precision on this one. Be your own boss when it comes to making imitation pizza. :)


- 1 small onion, sliced
- olive oil
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Alfredo sauce (bottled or see below) OR hummus

Caramelize/saute onions in oil. Put pitas on baking sheet (line with foil to control mess level) and add ingredients like unto pizza. Bake at 425* for 6-8 min (or until cheese burns to your liking.)
Makes 4 small pizzas which can feed two ravenous people or four people with munchies.
Note: My pizzas tend to stick to the pan/foil. I tried sprinkling the underside of the pita with cornmeal this time, and it worked like a non-stick charm. Never understood why Pizza Hut did this, but now I finally get it. :)

** Alfredo sauce (if you want to make your own):
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half & half)
1/8 cup butter
1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbs parsley (give or take)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder (or a little more if you like it)

Melt butter in pan, add cream, and then everything else. It tends to be a little soupy, so I thickened mine up at the end with some cornstarch, but you could use flour as well, or just leave it as is. This amount makes enough for 4 pizzas.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love the idea of using flatbread as the crust!
    I am definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete